Sodium benzoate is an organic substance with a chemical formula of C7H5NaO2. It is a white particle or crystalline powder. It is odorless or has a slight benzoin smell. It tastes slightly sweet and has astringent taste. The relative molecular mass is 144.12. It is stable in the air and easily soluble in water. Its aqueous solution has a pH of 8, which is soluble in ethanol.
Benzoic acid and its salts are broad-spectrum antimicrobial agents, but its antibacterial effectiveness depends on the pH of the food. As the acidity of the medium increases, its bactericidal and antibacterial effects increase, but it loses its bactericidal and antibacterial effects in alkaline media. The optimal pH value for anticorrosion is 2.5~4.0
English name: Sodium benzoate
Alias: Sodium Benzoate
Chemical formula :C7H5NaO2
Molecular weight :144.12
CAS: 532-32-1 EINECS: 208-534-8
Melting point: 436 ℃
Water solubility: easily soluble
Density: 1.44 g/cm³
Appearance: white crystalline powder
1. Mainly used as food preservatives, but also used to make medicines, dyes, etc.
2. Used in the pharmaceutical industry and plant genetic research, as well as dye intermediates, fungicides and preservatives
3. Preservatives; antimicrobial agents.
4. Sodium benzoate is also an important acid type food preservative. When used, it is converted into an effective form of benzoic acid. Refer to benzoic acid for use range and dosage. In addition, it can also be used as a feed preservative.
5. The product is used as a food additive (preservative), a fungicide in the pharmaceutical industry, a mordant in the dye industry, a plasticizer in the plastic industry, and an intermediate in organic synthesis such as spices.
6. Used as a co-solvent for serum bilirubin test, food additives (preservatives), fungicides in the pharmaceutical industry, mordants in the dye industry, plasticizers in the plastics industry, and as intermediates in organic synthesis such as spices.
1)As an excellent food preservative, can be used as the antiseptic sterilization of various food and beverage
2)As antiseptic sterilization of various drugs in pharmaceutical industry;
3)It can be used in the production of metal's corrosion inhibitor and antioxidant;
4)Also used in plastic industry, paint and feed industry.