Calcium propionate (for pastry, bread, cake, pasta, food)
There are many types of food preservatives. Such as benzoic acid and acetic acid. Sorbic acid, potassium sorbate, calcium sorbate, propionic acid, sodium propionate and Calcium propionate, etc., but suitable for bread preservation, currently only acetic acid and calcium propionate, especially calcium propionate is the best. Because calcium propionate itself is non-toxic. It is slightly acidic, which can inhibit the growth of mold without affecting the reproduction of yeast. As the bread industry in our country is relatively backward, our country did not add bread preservatives to bread in the past, so that in the hot summer or rainy season with continuous rain. If the bread is stored for two more days, it will mold and cause losses. In this kind of weather, factories generally produce less or bake unsold bread into rusks. People's living standards are now gradually improving. Fast food is developing rapidly. The demand for bread is increasing day by day. Therefore, the problem of mold prevention of bread has gradually been paid attention to. The National Bureau of Standards (1984) No. 211 approved the inclusion of calcium propionate in the GB2760-2014 Sanitary Standard for the Use of Food Additives. It is stipulated that the maximum total amount of additives added is 1≥ (0.314% of calcium propionate).
1. Analysis of the antibacterial effect and influencing factors of calcium propionate
Below we compare several sets of experimental data to discuss the effect of calcium propionate on bread mold and the factors affecting the antibacterial effect of calcium propionate.
1. The sweet and salty bread without added calcium propionate is tested for storage without packaging, and the storage time is the same. Both are 40 hours.
2. Sweet and salty bread with 0.2% calcium propionate added for storage experiment without packaging. The storage time is also the same, both within 60 hours. It is 20 hours longer than standard bread without calcium propionate.
3. Adding 0.2% of standard flour sweet bread and rich flour sweet bread to the experiment without packaging, the storage time is basically the same. In other words, the storage time of bread has little to do with the quality of flour (meaning that the gluten value is within a certain range). But it has a greater relationship with the length of the bread baking time. When the baking temperature is the same and the humidity in the oven remains the same, the longer the baking time is, the more moisture in the bread will be lost, and the storage time will increase significantly.
4. Add different contents of calcium propionate bread, and do an unpackaged storage experiment. The storage time will be prolonged as the content of calcium propionate increases. When the calcium propionate content is 0.25%, it can be stored for three days (about 72 hours). When the content is 0.30%, the storage time can reach more than 80 hours. Adding calcium propionate prolongs 1 to 2 days.
5. Add different content of calcium propionate bread, pack it with ordinary food bags, for storage experiment, its storage time is also prolonged with the increase of calcium propionate content, and the storage time is correspondingly prolonged by 1-2 days compared with the unpackaged storage time. Up to 4 days in total.
6. Add 0.25% of the same content of calcium propionate rich flour bread, packaged with different packaging materials. For storage experiments, the storage time is related to the material of the food bag. That is, although there is a gap between low-quality food bags, the gap is relatively small. However, the storage time of low-quality food bags differs greatly from that of high-quality food bags. It can be considered that ordinary food bags can generally be stored for more than 4 days. High-quality food bags can be stored for more than 5 days.
From the above tables, it can be seen that the antibacterial effect of calcium propionate at 0.25 to 0.30% is the best, and it fully meets the requirements of the national standard. Calculated at the retail price, the average increase in bread per catty of flour increased by 0.016 to 0.0135 yuan. In a constant temperature and humidity box, although it can only be stored for 4 to 5 days, the temperature is not constant every day, and the humidity is not as high as in the experiment. Especially in the north, the climate is relatively dry, so in actual use, The bread storage time must be longer than the experimental time, and it is possible to store it for ten days in a good climate.
Bailin Group ,As a professional Bread preservative-Calcium propionate manufacturer,we'd like to introduce to you about it. for bread, it has no nutritional value, and it can't keep bread from mould for a long time. It can only inhibit the growth of mould in bread and delay the time of bread mould. Therefore, it can solve the problem that bread will quickly mold in the hot summer or rainy season, reduce losses, and ensure people's health. But there are many reasons why bread is moldy. There are a lot of molds in the air. Therefore, in addition to adding preservatives-calcium propionate to the bread, attention should be paid to the hygiene of production equipment, production environment and operators, and hygiene supervisors must be set up to meet hygiene requirements. Carry out operation and packaging. In this way, the bread can be stored for a long time.
About Bailin Group:
We,Bailin Group Co.,Ltd is a leading Food Preservative manufacturer and supplier in China , the main Preservative products are Calcium propionate ,Potassium Sorbate and Sodium Benzoate,which is the largest factory in the northeast China region.contact us if you looking for a reliable Food Preservative factory.just send your inquiry in below form,will reply within 24hours.