Calcium Propionate, also known as calcium propionate and calcium oleate, is an anti-fungal agent approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). Calcium propionate is regarded as GRAS. Like other fats, it can be absorbed by humans and animals through metabolism, and it can supply the necessary calcium for humans and animals, which other antifungal agents cannot compare.
English name Calcium Propionate
English alias Propanoic acid, calcium salt; bioban-c; calciumpropanoate; Propanoicacid,calciumsalt; propionatedecalcium; PROPIONIC ACID HEMICALCIUM SALT; PROPIONIC ACID CALCIUM SALT; Calcium dipropionate
Molecular formula 2(C3H6O2)CA
Molecular weight 186.22
Calcium Propionate is an acid-type food preservative. Under acidic conditions, it produces free propionic acid and has an antibacterial effect. Its antibacterial effect is affected by the pH value of the environment. The inhibitory effect of mold is best when the pH value is 5.0; the antibacterial ability is significantly reduced when the pH value is 6.0, and the minimum inhibitory concentration is 0.01%. It has a strong inhibitory effect on various molds, gram-negative bacilli or aerobic bacillus in acid medium (starch, protein and oil-containing substances), and can also inhibit the production of aflatoxin, but has no effect on yeast. Harmless, harmless to humans and animals, no toxic side effects. It is a new, safe and efficient antifungal agent for food and feed in food, brewing, feed, and Chinese medicine preparations.
As an antifungal agent for feed, it is mostly used as bait for aquatic animals such as protein feed, fish bait feed, and complete feed. It is an ideal agent for feed processing companies, scientific research and other animal feeds.
In addition, in medicine, propionate can be made into powders, solutions and ointments to treat diseases caused by skin parasitic molds.
White powder or monoclinic crystal. The solubility in 100g of water is: 20°C, 39.85g; 50°C, 38.25g; 100°C, 48.44g. Slightly soluble in ethanol and methanol, almost insoluble in acetone and benzene.
Molecular formula: C6H10CaO4
It is prepared by the reaction of propionic acid with calcium hydroxide or calcium carbonate: calcium hydroxide is generally used as a raw material in the industry. The calcium hydroxide is adjusted into a suspension in a reaction pot, and propionic acid is added. The reaction temperature is maintained at 70-100°C. After 2-3 hours, the pH value at the end of the reaction is controlled at 7-8. The reaction material is filtered; dried to obtain the finished product.
It is produced by the reaction of propionic acid and calcium hydroxide or calcium carbonate. In industry, calcium hydroxide is generally used as raw material. The calcium hydroxide is adjusted into a suspension in a reaction pot, and propionic acid is added for reaction. The final pH is 7~8, and the finished product is filtered and dried.
Calcium propionate is a new type of food additive. It is a safe and reliable antifungal agent for food and feed approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). Calcium propionate has a wide range of antibacterial effects on molds, yeasts and bacteria.
1. Calcium propionate can be used as an antifungal agent for food and feed, and as a preservative for bread and cakes. Calcium propionate is easy to mix with flour evenly. It serves as a fresh-keeping preservative and at the same time provides the necessary calcium for the human body, playing the role of fortifying food.
2. Calcium propionate has an inhibitory effect on molds and aerobic bacillus that can cause bread to produce sticky filaments, but has no inhibitory effect on yeast.
3. It is effective against molds, aerobic spore-producing bacteria, gram-negative bacteria, aflatoxins, etc. in starch, protein and oil-containing substances, and has unique anti-mold and antiseptic properties.
4. It is a new and safe, efficient, broad-spectrum antifungal agent for food and brewing, feed, and Chinese medicine preparations.
5. Calcium propionate as a feed additive can effectively inhibit feed mold and extend the feed shelf life. If it is combined with other inorganic salts, it can also increase the appetite of livestock and increase the milk production of dairy cows. Calcium propionate has low volatility, high temperature resistance, good animal adaptability, and is suitable for use in a variety of feeds.
6. Calcium propionate can also be used as an additive in toothpaste and cosmetics, and has a good antiseptic effect.
7. A new type of feed additive, mainly used as an anti-mold agent, which can prolong the fresh-keeping period of feed. It has a good control effect on molds, aerobic bud-producing bacteria, and gram-negative bacteria. It can also inhibit the production of aflatoxin, and is harmless to yeast, harmless to humans and animals, and has no toxic side effects. It can also be used as a food preservative.
Used as a preservative for bread; pastry and cheese and an antifungal agent for feed. As a food preservative, calcium propionate is mainly used in bread, because sodium propionate increases the pH value of bread and delays the fermentation of dough; sodium propionate is often used in pastries, because the pastry’s leavening is made of synthetic puffing Loose agent, no yeast development problems caused by pH rise. When used as a feed preservative, sodium propionate is more effective than calcium propionate. But calcium propionate is more stable than sodium propionate. In addition to the use of propionate in foods for bread, cakes, cheese, etc., it can also be used for soy sauce to prevent mildew and inhibit re-fermentation. In medicine, propionate can be made into powders; solutions and ointments are used to treat diseases caused by skin parasitic molds. The ointment (liquid) contains 12.3% sodium propionate, and the powder contains 15% calcium propionate.
About Bailin Group:
We,Bailin Group Co.,Ltd is a leading Calcium propionate factory from China,contact us if you looking for a reliable Calcium propionate manufacturer in China.or just send your inquiry in below form,will reply within 24hours.